Monday 8 April 2013

Bow Ties - an intro

A few years ago, when I was working in the 'rat race', catching public transport and wearing suits - I would always look at mens ties.  Especially their Bow Ties.  I love Bow Ties.  Somehow the wearing of a Bow Tie allowed a man's personality to show through, even though it was being constrained by holiding down a serious responsible role as a Stockbroker, Banker or Engineer.  The bow ties worn by these men were often very flamboyant, against the dark grey/black/pinstriping of their suits.  It is these city men who inspired me to make a Bow Tie quilt.

Of the 327 blocks I have made so far, I pulled a random sample of 16 out of the box so that I could play around with the layout.
Layout 1 - Straight Set

Layout 2 - Octagonal Centres
 
Layout 3 - Interesting...
Of course there are many more layout options with the blocks on point and/or sashing in between them.  I have an idea of where I want to head with this quilt - so I'm off to lay out all of the blocks to see if my idea will work.  I'm quitely confident that it will.

And.... if there are blocks that I don't like in the quilt, I can make more.  There are another 200+ fabric squares in the box from when I was collecting interesting "tie" fabrics.  The ones I don't use will end up on the back of the quilt so they won't be wasted.  The extra fabric squares will probably end up as part of the backing too.

No comments: